Monday, October 24, 2011

Off the Hook


Many of you might think that I made up this clever title for a post about Fish and Chips becasue I am amazingly witty........ not really. It is actually the name of the restaurant.

Off the Hook is located just south of Danforth on Broadview (conveniently only about 2 blocks from my house). It is small and it is fairly new but boy do they cook some good food.

Looking at the menu I knew they did not fool around. It was simple. Choose a fish, choose a side and choose a sauce. there were some other menu items but they were shifted off to the side and not very prominent.

4 types of fish on the menu: Halibut $12, Red Snapper $10, Sea Bass $12 and Mahi Mahi $10.
6 sides: Fries, cajun fries, onion rings, Sweet potato Fries($1), mixed greens ($1), poutine($2).
7 sauces: Tartar, Go go Pesto, Lost in the sauce (not sure what that is), the sizzler XXX, walking wasabi, chipotle mayo, curry mayo (if you want extra sauce on top of the 1st one it is $1)
Batter: Organic house, organic cajun, Gluten Free, or grilled
Everything comes with homemade coleslaw too.

I went very standard as i wanted the base on my 1st trip. Halibut fries and tartar sauce.

AMAZING!!!!!!

I think they double fry the fish dip it in the fryer and then batter it. it was crisp but not too much batter for the amount of fish in there. It is all made fresh right in front of you and the fries are nice and crisp. The tartar is homemade and perfect with the fries and you can choose creamy or vinegar slaw (I got creamy).

Definitely one of the top fish places in the city. I will be going back a bunch and checking out all of the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment